(as of [price_update_date] – Details)
This book, Cell Biology, has been especially developed according to the latest UGC syllabus and is meant to cater to the needs of B.Sc. and M.Sc. students of all India universities. It is also immensely useful to the professionals of biology steam.
The book explains the essential principles, processes and methodology of cell biology, biochemistry and molecular biology. It reflects upon the significant advances in cell biology such as motor proteins, intracellular traffic and targeting of proteins, signalling pathways, receptors, apoptosis, aging and cancer. The book also discussed contemporary topics such as history of life (origin of life), archaebacteria, split genes, exon shuffling, gene silencing, RNA interference, miRNA, siRNA, recombinant DNA technology and much more.
Key Features :
• Pedagogically enriched, the book provides engaging chpter-end assessment exercises to enhance and strengthen learning of the readers:
• Boxed items provides extra information on the topics:
• Glossary, serving as a mini dictionary, provides meaning of various key terms of cell biology:
• Selected readings provides further exploration of the subject:
Table of Content :
• Introduction • Microscopy • Tools and Techniques in Cell Biology • The Origin of Life • Prokaryotic Cell and Eukaryotic Cell • Cytosol; Elements, Biomolecules and Properties • Amino Acids; Peptides and Proteins • Carbohydrates • Lipids • Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids • Tubules and Filaments (Cytoskeleton) • Plasma Membrane • The Cell Wall • Cell Junctions, Cell Adhesion and the Extra-Cellular Matrix (ECM) • Bioenergetics and Enzymes • Mitochondria (Energy Metabolism) • Chloroplasts (Photosynthesis) • Biosynthesis of Lipids and Polysaccharides • Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) • Ribosomes • Golgi Apparatus • Intracellular Protein Sorting or Targeting and Chaperones • Vesicular Traffic in the Secretory and Endocytic Pathway • Lysosomes • Peroxisomes • Cell Signalling (Messages, Receptors and Signal Transduction) • Electrical Signals in Nerve Cells • Centrioles and Basal Bodies • Cellular Movement: Muscle Contractility and Amoeboid Movement • Microtubule-Based Cell Movement: Cilia and Flagella • Nucleus, Nucleopore and Nucleolus • Chromosomes • Chromosomal Variations: 1. Morphological; 2. Numerical • DNA: Molecular Structure • DNA: Replication, Repair and Recombination • Genes • Point Mutation • Genetic Code • Transcription and mRNAs, rRNAs and tRNAs • Protein Synthesis • Regulation of Gene Action • Cell Commitment • Induction • Cell Differentiation • Stem Cell Concept and Cell Replacement Therapy • Cell Growth, Cell Cycle and Mitosis • Meiosis and Reproductive Cycle • Reproduction • Gametogenesis • Fertilization • Parthenogenesis • Aging: The Biology of Senescence • Apoptosis (Programmed Cell Death) • Cell Culture and Cryopreservation • Cell Transformation and Cancer (Biology of Cancer) • Effect of Radiation on the Cell • Viruses • Archaea (Archaebacteria) • Bacteria • Recombinant DNA Technology